Antes House Restoration

 

The Henry Antes House, located in the township of Upper Frederick, Pennsylvania, has been restored by the  the Goschenhoppen Historians, Inc.

 

The house was preserved and restored to the period of Antes' lifetime as a living history museum. Designed and built by Henry Antes in 1736, this massive stone building is an excellent example of Germanic architecture.

 

Two and one-half centuries after its construction, the building is remarkably well preserved. With its steep roof containing two floors in the attic, three-room floor plan and massive central fireplace, this house preserves rare evidence of early cultural traditions in the settlement of the colonies.

 


The house was also the site of evangelical and political meetings held to promote understanding among colonists of different religions, cultures and races. The Moravian school established here is recognized as one of the first interracial nonsectarian boys' schools in Pennsylvania.

 

If you would like to donate towards this restoration,

please click on the Ways to Give tab , or contact Red Men's Hall.

 

 

The Antes House ---

 

 

© 2017 Goschenhoppen Historians, Inc.
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community